Friday, July 22, 2011

If you gladly stoop to the ground don't be surprised if they trample over you.~Ethiopian proverb

    The room was pitch black and I froze where I had stumbled to a stop, not wanting to move and run into something. The man behind mumbled something and flicked on the light. I quickly shut my eyes and when I opened them I saw spots. It took me a few moments for me to comprehend what I was looking at. The room had wooden walls and was huge. There were five, two bunkbeds and one regular, and another door, but no windows. The thing that shocked me however were the eight other women in the beds who were startled awake by the mans voice. 
    "Rise and shine ladies. Meet your new friend and colleague-" He looked down at me expectantly.
    "Cora." I replied in a clipped voice.
    "Cora. Make her feel welcome and homely." He looked down at me and patted me on the shoulder in a gruff friendly way, a strange look on his face. "Make nice, your gonna be here for a while." Then he turned and walked out, leaving me alone with the strangers.
    The women were all young, none of them older than maybe twenty-five. They were wearing decent clothes and they looked healthy and well fed, If a little battered. I saw more than one bruise on there arms or faces. Speaking of which, many of them looked lifeless, like there lives weren't living. While every one got up at least two of them didn't even bother to look at me, they just stared at the wall, defeated. A blond girl, probably a few years older than me, stood up and walked forward.
    "I'm Carla," she said holding out her hand. We both sized each other up. Her hair was strait and cut in layers similar to mine, only shorter. Her eyes were a cool blue and she was about my size, only skinnier. She must have approved because when she let go she turned to the girl in single bed and pointed to the bunk bed with only one girl in it. The girl obliged and stood up.
    "Thats your bed. You won't have to share it for a few weeks, till they find another new girl." She turned and pointed to the other door I had noticed earlier. "Thats the bathroom. There's a clean toothbrush on the counter and tomarrow I'll show you what towel and wash cloth you can use."
    "Were are we?" I asked, finally settleing on a question to ask.
    "I have no idea." She said yawning. "Why don't you save the rest of you questions for tomarrow when you meet the boss, aye?" She said turning back towards the bed with a petite brunette in it.
    "Why am I here. What do they want from me?" I asked her back. She gradually stoped and turned to me, her face sad and worn.
    "What all men want." She said. Her voice was resiegned. "Turn the light off when your ready, will you?" She said turning around and crawling into the bed. Frustrated I turned back to the wall, flicking off the light and feeling my way towards the bed. I lay down, looking up at nothingness. I let the dread wash over me for a moment, then I closed my eyes and pulled myself together. Tomarrow is a day.
I rolled over and slept.
*********************************************************
    "Wakey wakey." Said a disterbing voice in my ear. I worked my eyes open and saw the annoying british dude, Carter, leaning over me. "Get up." He ordered pulling me into a sitting position.
    "Screw you." I said pulling my arm away from him and pushing myself back on the bed. I got off on the side opposite him and he smiled that creepy smile.
    "Soon, baby. Just be patiant." I narrowed my eyes at him.
    "Not even in my nightmares." I told him, the room was empty besides us and I was getting nervous. Not that I would let him know that. "What do you want?" I asked irritatedly.  He looked me up and down with hungry eyes and I had to stop myself from crossing my arms over my chest. I put one hand on my hip and cocked my head to the side.
    "Take a picture, it'll last longer." I said in a bored voice. He opened his mouth to say something-probably perverted- when the door opened and the southern guy from yesterday poked his head in. I got a good look at his face today, unlike last time. His hair was dark brown and his eyes were a solid green color. He actually looked friendly, more like a policeman than a kidnapper. The face of someone you wanted to trust.
     "What was taking you so long. The boss is waiting." He drawled settling his gaze on Carter. Carter tried to look bored, but I could tell he was nervous.
     "Just talking, mate. She's being stubborn," he said nodding his head towards me. Oh, yeah. real mature, blame me.
     "Well stop talking and get your arses out here." And I swear to god, he did say arse. Carter looker over at me and waved his hand forward while smiling a noxiously fake gentleman's smile.
     "Ladies first." He said to me. I shook my head and started walking thinking, Your more of a woman than I'll ever be.
     "This way ma'am," said the coyboy. I looked him over and was suprised he didn't tip and imaginary hat at me. "I'm Thomas by the way and I exspect you'll me seein' alot more a'me." He drawled as he let me to a door, which he unlocked, revealing a staircase. I looked at him and he must've read some of the expressions on my face because he gave me a grimm smile. I sighed and started up the stairs.
     "In you go." He said after we stoped infront of a beautifly carved door. It probably cost more than everything in the apartment plus six months rent. I hessitated and glanced at him. He smiled reasuringly. I put my ahnd on the handle and turned praying that this wasn't some godfather like deal.
    I was greeted my a mans back. He was wearing a black pinstriped suit and spinning a diamond topped wooden cane over and over in his hands. He turned and I saw that he was a tall, slender man in his mid-40's. His black hair was slicked back, revealing a lone gray streak he probably thought looked fashionable. And he did, which really got on my nerves. He looked at me cooly with icy gray eyes. He probab;y could've been a model if it wasn't for the scar than ran from his left eyebow down his checkbones. His tie was light blue and didn't really seem to fit in the room.
    "So you desided to join me." He said smileing with no real warmth. He looked me up and down and walked behind me, which I realy didn't like. He smelled like cigar smoke and expensive colone.
    "Not realy a desision." I said dryly watching him cautiously as he came back around in front of me. He laughed slightly and sat on the edge of the desk.
    "Your name's Cora correct?" He asked raiseing an eyebrow. He still had that self important smirk on his face and I was liking him less and less every minute. "And you are sixteen?"
    "Yeah." I said wearily. I was about to walk back out and take my chances with the cowboy when he did something totaly unexspected.
    "Are you a virgin?" He asked me in that same tone of voice. I was taken aback.
    "Who the hell are you to ask me that?" I demanded when I had found my voice. "I don't see how it's your buisness one way or the other." I snapped at him. What the hell did the pervy old freak want from me?
    "Why am I here? What do you want?" I snapped. I crossed my arms and met his cold gaze.
     "Well it seems we have an ornery one here." He said completly ignoreing my questions. "Thomas." He said and the door opened.
     "Yes'sir?" He said, glancing at me then his boss.
     "Who  all do we have available?" He asked. It was like I had suddenly disappeared.
     "Carter, Trey, and Devin." He said. I was getting really pissed now. I was kidnapped, questioned and ignored.
     I didn't like being ignored.
     "I asked you a question." I said stepping inbetween them, locking eyes with the boss man. My voice was like acid. He narrowed his eyes at me and swung his cane at me. I steped back out of its range and caught it by the dimond. It hurt my hand but I just glared.
     Luckly Charlie had taught me a little bit of what his dad had drilled into him, after I came home from school one day bloody from an ambush. That was around sixth grade, when he was in eighth. After four years I had gotton pretty damn good. I could take a hit and my reflexes weren't bad to boot. He used to laugh at me saying I was the queen of improvission, you never knew what I would do next.
    The man raised an eyebrow and then laughed loudly, throwing his head back. When he was done He said to Thomas while looking me in the eyes, a knowing glint in his eye. "Get Devin. He can have the honors." He turned around bored and I felt a hand on my shoulder. I turned and saw the cowboys face. It was blank now, not even a hint of expression. He lead me back to the room and shut the door.
    "What's going on." I asked him, a hint of desperation colouring my voice. He looked at me sadly and closed the door.  He seemed to have aged about ten years. He didn't look like the young and happy man I had first met. He looked tired and worn out. I sighed and colapsed on the bed.
    A few minutes later the door opened agian, revealing a very large, very muscled guy with a deep tan, large brown eyes, dark closecropped hair and a sickining smile. I immediately got off the bed and stood, guessing he wasn't here for a friendly visit.
    "I take it your Devin." I asked needlessly. He smiled wider and walked towards me.
*****************************************************************
    He grabbed a handfull of my hair and dragged me across the floor, flinging me onto the bed. I landed with and omph, quickly rolling over before he managed to strattle my hips while pinning my arms to the side.
    "Your lucky the boss forbided it, or you would be getting more than just a beating." His breath wafed over my face and I smelled mint, probab;y from the gum  he had been chewing when he walked in.
    Now, I know I'm a better than average fighter, but this guy was something else. He had strolled in the room, beat me senseless and I had gotten barley two hits in. He was brutal as he worked me over, but he was carefull to avoid hitting my face. He licked my cheak and i pulled as far away from him as I could. Laughing, he pushed himself off of me and walked out. "Until next time." He purred as he shut the door.
   I lay in the bed for a few minutes, catching my breath, before I got up and made my slow painful way to the bathroom. I shut the door and leaned against it, feeling sick. How the hell am I supposed to do this? I though angrily. There were no windows in the bathroom, no way out except though the locked door, past the gaurds and the security system that I just knew he had to have. It was impossable.
    The bathroom was pretty big. it had two sinks, a tub, a toilet and one wall was a big mirror. I turned to it and groaned. My hair was a mess and there was a little blood comming out of my nose. My lip was split and I had a bruse on my jaw from where he had back handed me when I bit him. Speaking of which, I could still tast his blood in my mouth. Or mabey thats my blood....
   I had finger marks slowly appearing on my neck and bruses on my arms and legs. I looked at one of the counters and saw that there was a toothbruch laying on top of a washcloth and towel and a set of clothes.  i walked over and picked up the note on top.
   Clothes for you and the towel I promised. Good luck. ~Carla.
   I checked the bathroom dooor to see if I could lock it (I couldn't) then I got a quick shower. After drying my hair the best I could I walked back out into the room and sat down, putting my head in my hands.  It felt so hopeless. There was no way out.  I flopped down and held in a groan.
   The shower had helped, but I was still soar, and would hurt like hell for days. There was a knock on the door and I sat up quickly, forgeting about the pain long enough to get to me feet. The door opened and Trey walked in. He looked me up and down.
    "He realy worked you over." He said, taking in my bruses and stiffness. He looked kind of impressed. Most girls probably don't put up a fight like I did. I thought.
    "What do you want." I was pissed and I didn't care if he knew it. Trey's eyes got dark and a voice boomed out from behind him.
    "Where the hell is she? I don't have all day, I have things that need to be done." He stepped aside and a very large man strode into the room. He was huge. Taller than the cowboy and probably twice as broad. He had short red hair and was wearing a suit, although he seemed relaxed in it unlike most men. His jacket was unbuttoned, along with the first three or so buttons on his white silk shirt underneth it.
    "Well well." He said in a pleased tone while looking me over. "She is worth all the money and more." He frowned. "It's a Trey walked out, body stiff with irritation, and shut the door, leaving me with the large irishman.
    "Now that we are alone, I think we should start by introducing ourselves." He walked closer to me and I tenced up, but he only lowered himself onto the bed. "I am Cabe Donivan." He held out his hand and raised an eyebrow when I didn't take it. He smiled slightly. "Ray told me you were one of the new girls." I just looked at him. He stood up and suddenly looked threatening. I backed up quickly. 
    He raised an eyebrow and his smile grew till it looked preditory. He snapped out his arm and grabbed my wrist pulling me towards him. Dragging actually, my socks sliding across the hardwood floor. I tried to knee him, but he saw it comeing and whiped me around pinning me up against him with one arm, the other still in his grasp.
    "Well now, you are a fiesty one." He murmured in my ear. I shivered and started struggleing even harder. "This will be fun."

No comments:

Post a Comment