Thursday, October 6, 2011

Friendship, like phosphorus, shines brightest when all around is dark.

"There is absolutely no reason for men to wear rings." I grumbled while Trey dabbed alcohol on the gash on my chin. Well, I suppose gash was a bit melodramatic. The Irishmans ring had only clipped me after all.
"Quit talking," Trey said reaching behind me to get something out of the cabinet. I was sitting on the sink in our little bathroom. (Not our, as in me and Trey, our as in me and all the other girls. Yes, I have resignd myself to the fact that I am now one of them.) He pulled the gauze away and put the neosporin on his finger.
"You washed your hands didn't you?" I asked eyeing him skepticly. He simpy shook his head (a Trey version of rolling his eyes) and grabbed ahold of my chin. "So you didn't wash your hands?" I asked in a horrified voice. "Now it's going to get infected and my jaw will fall off and I wiomph-" He moved his hand to cover my mouth.
"I said stop talking." He gave me a pointed look then looked down on the counter for the bandages. I pulled my head away and held the box up to him. "You sure are in a good mood for someone who just got beaten," he said in his gentlemanly way while eyeing me cautiously. He probably thought I was mental or something.
Well at least he's being civil about it. "I'm not in a good mood, I'm pissed." I told him as he got the large band-aid ready. He gave another head shake.
"Be still." He said. I had to bite my lip so i didn't say something sarcastic. Be still? Realy? What century are you from? He put the bandaid on and started to clean up the mess.
"Does this sort of thing happen often?" I asked sliding off the counter. It hurt a bit seeing as I had a gigantic bruise on my butt from falling off the bed.
About half an hour earlier, when Cabethe Irishman had grabbed aholdof me I had curled around his arm, lifting my legs up off the floor. He swung me around and I did my best to hurt him. He must've gotten tired of my flailing because he tossed me on the bed. By some miracle I landed on the edge and slid off, my feet getting suck in the process. He laughed and I didn't blame him. I would have laughed too.
"You defintely are an entertaining one. But you will want to stop struggling before too long." He started around the bed and I struggled to my feet. Damn Irishman, damn kidnappers, damn mother, damn PEOPLE. I thought as I backed away. I didn't want to get pinned up against the wall so I jumped up on the bed. He grabbed my arm and twisted it sharply. My knees almost went out from the pain.
"What. Happened. To. The talking." I gasped trying to pull away. He laughed and I kicked out at him angrily. My foot connected with his stomach and I hissed in pain. His smile faded and he narrowed his eyes.
"You are too stubborn." He said in a low voice. "It is obvious that you were not broken in properly." He jerked my arm down and I dropped to my knees. "I must have a talk with him afterwords." He murmured to himself letting go of my arm. I clutched it to my chest. Ow-ha-hoooooow. I groaned inwardly while glaring at the man.
Suddenly he lunged at me. I shoved myself back but got tangled in the bed sheets, giving him enough time to get on top of me. My mouth opened and out poured the cuss words. He clamped his hand over my mouth to shut me up. "You should have been born in my country with fiery red hair to go with that temper, little one." I bit him in response. He ripped his hand away and backhanded me. I'd managed to wiggle my leg in the right position and kicked him hard in between the legs. His eyes went wide and he squeaked.
Finally. I scrambled out form underneath him. "I have been trying to do that since this whole trip started." I told his satisfied. His head lifted and I blanched. I turned and sprinted to the bathroom door, locking it in time to feel a Thud from the other side.
"Open that door girl!" He bellowed from the other side. I had to resist the urge to say make me like I was ten. He started pounding and I heard voices as more people rushed in. They did there best to console him and sent Trey in to patch me up once he left.

"No." Trey said, breaking me out of my mini-flashback. "Usually the girls don't fight back." Was I mistaken or did I hear bit of pride in his voice? "The smart ones anyway." Yep, definately mistaken.
"When do I get food?" I complained peaking out the door. None of the other girls had come back.
"When I say so." I could tell that i was ruffling his feathers.
"Well then say so." I told him crossing my arms and looking defiant. He ignored me and started to walk out. I sighed and followed him. "Please? With undead gummybears and vampire bats on top?" I pleaded using the same tactic I used on Charlie.
It didn't work.
"Fine." I said to the door when he shut it in my face. "Let me starve. Lets see how attractive i am when I'm all skin and bones!" I waited for a response that didn't come, so I figured he had left. The lock clicked and I heard a chuckle. "Yeah, hilarious." I muttered heading for the bed. I looked at the messed up sheets and shivered. Suddenly the Irish husband I had always wanted didn't appeal to me anymore. I made the bed and paced back and forth, ignoring the hungry twist of my stomach and the choking sensation in my throat. I wasn't going to cry. My mother had sold me to human traffickers, but I wouldn't cry. Crying was pointless in this situation. It never helped. I swallowed and looked up, taking deep breaths and relaxing.
"Yep, no need to cry." I said confidently to myself. The door opened suddenly and I jumped.
"Are you hungry?" said Carla, the blond from before. "I have food." She held up a plastic bag and looked me over whistling. "They must've gotten you good. She said walking in. The door was shut by Thomas who didn't even spare me a glance. Wonderful.
"Yes. Food sounds great. What is it?" I said leaning against the wall. She walked closer and sat down on one of the bunks, her bunk I think.
"Chicken sandwiches from McDonald's." She said handing the bag to me. I guess he did hear me. I thought sitting down beside her. There were three sandwiches in total.
"No thanks." Carla told me when I offered her one. She looked me over and frowned. "Why are you so happy?" She finally said bewildered. "He was here and yet your still as cocky as all get out." I looked at her and swallowed.
"I kicked an Irish dude in the balls, whats not to be cocky about?" Her jaw dropped and she gaped at me.
"Y...you what!" She said jumping to her feet. "No ones ever......how did you......what were........" She paced back and forth in front of me, stuttering and looking at me with astonished eyes. She finally just stopped and started laughing. Not a chuckle or two, but uproaruos, hands on knees, teary-eyed laughter. Now I looked at her bewildered.
"What's so funny?" I asked cracking a smile. From what I've seen so far, I think it's the first time she -any of the girls really- had laughed like this in a long time.
"You kicked Cabe Donivan in the privates. Donivan, the Irish millionaire was brought down by a high school girl off the streets." She sat down and sighed, wiping her eyes. "When this gets out, you'll be a celebrity."
"Oh." I said opening the third sandwich. "Glad I can brighten your day." I whipped a bit of ranch of my cheek and licked my finger. "So.....I take it he comes here a lot?" I watched her face settle back into it's, slightly happier, resigned face. "Every time a new girl comes in. he likes to have 'first dibs' on girls. Says he enjoys the struggle." She chuckled and glanced at me. "He rarely comes any other time.I suppose he has plenty of willing women waiting for him at home." She played with the hem of her shirt.
"I bet." I muttered. "So did you just come in to bring me...uh, lunch?" I guessed. I had no idea what day it was, let alone what time. She looked at me sadly and tried to smile.
"No." I waited a moment for her to compose herself. "They found a new girl sooner than exspected. She'll be here in a few days." She looked down, peaking up at me to see my reaction. My face was blank as I wondered why she was telling me this. Since I couldn't think of a good reason I asked her.
"We go on a sort of......buddy system here." She told me. "You get paired up with a girl who arrives about the same time as you do and you share a bed, sometimes clothes and........partners, on occasion." She wasn't looking at me. "My partner is Adrene, the girl I share my bed with."
"How long have you two been here." I asked, my voice bleak.
She swallowed. "Two years we think. Nicole and Sarah have been here the longest. Six years." They must've been the two girls that wouldn't look at me when i first came.
"Do you know her name?" I asked. I didn't realy want to be parred up with anyone in this hell hole.
"No, but you shouldn't worry. The people they pair us up with.......she'll become your best friend even if you don't hit it off right away." She smiled reassuringly.Oh yay. I thought. the door opened up again and Thomas looked in.
"Carla, Adrene is waiting." He looked at us without actually seeing us. Carla patted my knee and stood up and Thomas closed the door after her. I waited for the tell tale click and heard it then sighed and sat there, wishing that this was all just an elaborate dream. Then I heard a wisper and smiled feeling proud of myself.
"Good job indeed." I muttered back

No comments:

Post a Comment